For centuries, porcelain dishes and plates have been a staple in kitchens and dining rooms. It is known for its durability, beauty, and versatility; porcelain has become a popular material for dinnerware. This article will explore the history and benefits of using porcelain plates and how to care for them properly.
Porcelain is a ceramic material made by firing a mixture of kaolin, feldspar, and quartz at high temperatures. This process produces a hard, dense, and non-porous material for making dishes and plates. Porcelain is often called “china” because it was first developed in China during the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD).
Porcelain is valued for its strength and chipping, cracking, and scratching resistance. It is also non-absorbent, which means it won’t stain or absorb odours from food. This makes it an ideal material for dishes and plates that will be used regularly.
There are many benefits to using porcelain dishes and plates in your home. Here are just a few:
- Durability: Porcelain is a strong and durable material that can withstand regular use without chipping, cracking, or scratching. This means your porcelain dishes and plates will last for many years, making them a worthwhile investment.
- Non-absorbent: Porcelain is non-absorbent, meaning it won’t stain or absorb odours from food. This makes it an ideal material for dishes and plates that will be used regularly.
- Versatility: Porcelain dishes and plates come in various styles and designs, making them suitable for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a formal dinner or a casual family meal, there’s a porcelain dish or plate that will suit your needs.
- Beauty: Porcelain dishes and plates are known for their beauty and elegance. They come in various colours and patterns, from classic white to bold and colourful designs. This makes them a great way to add style and sophistication to your dining table.
It’s essential to take proper care of your porcelain dishes and plates; here are some tips for porcelain care:
- Hand wash: Porcelain dishes and plates should be washed by hand with warm water and mild detergent. Avoid using abrasive sponges or cleaners, as they can scratch the surface of the porcelain.
- Dry immediately: After washing your porcelain dishes and plates, dry them immediately with a soft cloth.
- Handle with care: While porcelain is strong and durable, it can still be chipped or cracked if mishandled. Handle your porcelain dishes and plates carefully, and avoid banging them against hard surfaces.
- Store carefully: When storing your porcelain dishes and plates, stack them carefully to avoid scratching or chipping. Place a layer of paper or cloth between each piece to provide cushioning.
- Avoid extreme temperatures: Porcelain dishes and plates can be sensitive to extreme temperatures. Avoid exposing them to sudden changes in temperature, such as placing them in a hot oven or freezer.
Following these simple care tips, you can keep your porcelain plates and dishes looking their best for years.
In conclusion, porcelain dishes and plates are a beautiful and practical addition to any home. Their durability, versatility, and beauty make them a worthwhile investment for anyone who loves entertaining or enjoys a beautiful dining experience. By taking proper care of your porcelain, you can ensure that it will continue to bring joy and elegance to your home for years to come.