Health & Fitness
Panic Attacks; Preventative Measures, Complications, and Treatment
A panic attack cause an intense and sudden episode of anxiety and fear. The physiological response to panic attacks affects the functioning of the individual. Hence, it is essential to maintain balance in social, personal, academic, and professional life and manage stress to enhance mental health.
The preventive measures to reduce the chances of suffering from panic attacks are:
- Understand the Physiological Response: Individuals who feel their heart rate racing when they are in a social situation should monitor their psychological response to an unknown stimulus. It will allow the individual to understand the warning signs. Early diagnosis helps reduce the severity and frequency of panic attacks.
- Relaxation Techniques: The individuals exhibiting panic attack symptoms should learn relaxation techniques. Deep breathing and PMR are proven effective in reducing the stress that may be the cause of anxiety attacks.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Individuals need to maintain a healthy lifestyle to enhance their mental and physical health. Individuals would exercise regularly and engage in aerobic activities to divert their attention. The calmness allows the individual to gain control and reduce the chances of panic attacks.
- Understand the Triggers: Caffeine and Alcohol can suffer panic attacks. Thus, individuals with a history of panic attacks should avoid consuming them to enhance their quality of life.
- Sleep Cycle: A healthy sleep pattern decreases the chances of mental health problems. The balance between personal and professional life improves psychological health and decreases the probability of panic attacks.
Complications Associated with Panic Attacks
Individuals should seek professional help to reduce the severity of panic attacks as untreated conditions can cause further complications such as:
- Phobias: The individual fears that they may have an episode at any time. They become highly sensitive and avoid engaging in everyday activities, such as driving to work.
- Avoid Social Interaction: Lack of support from friends and family affects the social skills of the individual with a past of panic attacks. The individual willingly avoids social gatherings, which affects personal and professional relationships.
- Other Mental Health Problems: Prolonged anxiety disorders can lead to clinical depression and related complications. Panic attacks and depression affect the functioning of the individual. The hopelessness and guilt affect their overall health.
- Substance Abuse: Alcohol and illicit drugs provide temporary relief from guilt. The individual with recurrent episodes of panic attacks causes embarrassment. It shatters self-confidence and affects the functioning of vital organs.
- Suicidal Ideation: It is necessary for family members and close friends to support the individual exhibiting signs of anxiety and panic disorders. Lack of support and encouragement to seek professional help increases suicidal ideation.
Effective Treatment Options
The panic attack treatment includes:
- Use of Antidepressants: The medications help reduce the chances of future panic attacks. Also, antidepressants reduce the probability of depression.
- Use of Anxiolytics: The medications are given to the individual exhibiting signs of a panic attack. It reduces the severity and helps the individual get normal.
- Psychotherapy: Psychotherapy helps individuals talk about their fears to understand the cause of the attacks. Furthermore, desensitization allows the individual to be in control of similar situations inducing feelings of panic and anxiety.
- Relaxation Techniques: Deep breathing and PMR allow the individual to gain control of the physiological response to panic and anxiety.
Moreover, you may reach out to fitcyhealth.com where you can find certified professionals who can help you manage your panic attacks at an affordable price.